Saturday, August 18, 2007

Giant Heads

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Giant Festival Heads! Fantastic!!!!


I have been obsessed with yellow lately I don't know why!

Comming back from Tule we were able to catch a bus going to the city, to get there we were obliged to get a taxi as the teachers had blocked off the main road and the buses could not pass. We were let off in a part of town we had not been in before and while walking around trying orient ourselves we stubled on the best thing.

In front of a tire shop I noticed a bamboo armature...when I looked inside the shop, there were several huge heads stacked above the tires. I called Maya back and we talked to the owners Jose and Maria. He makes giant people each year to use in the Galagestza, a big dance celebration. He took out a transvestite and modled it for us, complete with the gigantic skirt. He says the traditon for them came from Saville in Spain. I can see that, it reminded me so much of the museum of gigantic heads in Bad Education! I still can't belive our luck comming accross them like that. It made being left of the buss so far out of our way well worth it. I have some great pictures, I will try and post them soon, but as you can see I have yet to post any pictures yet : ( Not for lack of trying I assure you!

No comments: